Terms & Conditions
The following terms and conditions are governed by and constituted in accordance with English Law and Industry Guidelines. These conditions will apply to any contract made between us in addition to any further conditions or terms specific to each particular booking.
- Global Artichoke Limited (registered UK company number 06016817) is a private travel arranger (Tour Operator & Travel Agent) governed by UK law with registered offices at Royal Marina Court, Beacon Terrace, Devon TQ1 2BJ. Our VAT number is 917 0337 38. Our services are supplied to our worldwide clientele.
- Data Protection Under Registration Number ZA241353 we observe the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) in respect of all personal data held by us at any time. We will not use personal data for any purpose other than in connection with your booking. We will not pass on such data to third parties save where this is necessary in connection with the performance of our contract with you or as otherwise authorised by you. In addition, we may use such data to notify you of relevant services from time to time unless you ask us not to. If you wish to find out more about your personal data we hold or have any query about data protection, please contact our ICO Liaison Officer at Royal Marina Court, Beacon Terrace, Devon TQ1 2BJ in the UK. In order to find out more about our notification and the requirements of the Act you should visit the site of the Information Commissioner at ico.org.uk.
- Insurance You must be fully insured for your holiday and must make sure that all your activities whilst on holiday are covered by that insurance. Insurance must include adequate provision for cancellation, medical emergency, personal loss and evacuation and repatriation and every member of your party must be so insured.
- Booking Procedure Once availability has been confirmed, please complete the booking form and forward it to Global Artichoke Ltd, together with the non-refundable deposit. Upon receipt of your booking form and deposit, you will be sent confirmation and the booking becomes a contract between you, the client and Global Artichoke and is bound by our terms and conditions. If your booking is made within 8 weeks of departure, full payment is required at the time of booking. All holidays are subject to availability. All bookings must be made by a person aged eighteen or over and this ‘lead name’ is responsible for making all payments due in accordance with the contract. Completion of our Booking Form will be taken as confirmation that you have read, understood and accepted our Terms & Conditions.
Final payment is due 8 weeks prior to departure. Failure to meet this deadline may result in Global Artichoke viewing your booking as cancelled and thereby incurring cancellation charges.
Security Deposit (Villas) – For villa rentals we require a security deposit payment to hold on account, against potential damage or local costs incurred during your holiday. This is due 8 weeks prior to departure. We will return these funds within 28 days of your return from holiday except in the instance when deductions have been incurred. In this event, you will be advised within 28 days of your return although final settlement may take longer to establish.
- Prices All our prices are quoted in Pounds Sterling (£ GBP).We guarantee the price of your holiday stated in our booking confirmation. However, it may become necessary to pass on to you certain additional charges resulting from increased transportation costs, dues, taxes, landing fees or fluctuations in the exchange rate. We will not pass on any such charges within 30 days of departure nor those resulting in an increase of less than 2% to the total cost of your holiday.We reserve the right to pass on any charges levied by our suppliers in respect of arrangements made by us on your behalf (transportation costs including luggage, transfers/transportation, accommodation, meals, the services of a representative, UK departure taxes, fees and passenger charges, port charges & child discounts).Our holiday prices do not normally include:
Visa fees, overseas airport departure charges payable locally, porterage, personal expenditure, hotel extras, fuel and extras for car hire.
Taxes or compulsory charges introduced by Governments, regulatory bodies or airlines after booking.
Transportation security charges introduced or increased after booking relating to transportation costs.
The price payable by you for your holiday and what this price includes will be confirmed at the time of booking.
Some bookings or prices are dependent on the number of participants. If this applies to your booking you will be notified at the time. We reserve the right to increase the price if participant numbers fall below that necessary to qualify for the price originally quoted. We also reserve the right to cancel a booking if participant numbers fall below the requisite threshold, any time up to and including 30 days prior to departure.
- Villa Rental Prices, unless otherwise indicated, include: Gas, electricity, water, all local taxes, weekly linen change and maid service as specified. Air-conditioning, heating, pool-heating, telephone, additional maid service and extra linen are usually payable locally.
- Methods of Payment Bank wire to Global Artichoke Limited at HSBC, 6 Broad Street, Worcester WR1 2EJ, United Kingdom. Bank sorting code 40 47 17 and Account Number 62602709. Cheques are also acceptable.
- Amendments/Cancellations Please carefully read all confirmations and communications and contact us immediately if information (especially names) appears to be incorrect or incomplete as it may not be possible to make changes later. If you do not check this information early we cannot accept liability for the perpetuation of errors.
a. Amendments. Please notify us of any amendment you wish to make to your booking and we will try to accomplish your request. Do this in writing, no later than 21 days prior to departure. If any charges or expenses are incurred as a result of conditions imposed by our suppliers, these will be passed on to you.
b. Air Tickets. Please note that any change made to airline tickets after the tickets have been issued often results in 100% cancellation charges.
c. Cancellations. Cancellations should be made in writing by the ‘lead name’ on the booking form. Charges apply from the date cancellation notification is received by us, as follows:
Period before scheduled departure Cancellation charge as a percentage
within which notification is received of total holiday cost
After payment of deposit Deposit
84-69-days before departure 0% of invoiced cost
70-55 days before departure 75% of invoiced cost
56 days and departure 100% of invoiced cost
Total holiday cost excludes insurance, administration costs and amendment charges. These are not refundable.
- Amendments/Cancellations by Global Artichoke Great care is taken to ensure all information and prices given by us are correct. However, changes and errors can occur and we will endeavour to advise you of these before accepting your booking. In very rare circumstances the company will have to modify a holiday before you depart.
If this change is significant:
i. A change of more than 12 hours in departure time or holiday duration
ii. A change of international airport and city (ie not between JFK and Newark or Heathrow and Gatwick, etc)
iii. A change of destination
iv. A reduction in standard of accommodation
Then we will notify you as early as possible and you may
i. Accept the modification (including any impact on price)
ii. Change your booking to another available holiday
iii. Cancel and receive a full refund
If this change is not listed under ‘significant’ above, it is a ‘minor change’. We will try to inform you of any ‘minor change’ as soon as is reasonably possible, although we are not obliged to do so. Neither are we obliged to compensate you for any ‘minor’ changes.
In the event that we have to cancel your holiday for any reason other than our insolvency or circumstances beyond our reasonable control we will refund to you the full price you paid for your holiday.
Circumstances Beyond our Control
We will not pay compensation or accept liability where a change is due to circumstances outside our control, including (without limitation) strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action; labour disputes; acts of God; war; riot; civil commotion; malicious damage; compliance with a law or governmental order, rule regulation or direction; prevention of the use of public or private transport or the action of government or regulatory body; accident; break-down of plant or machinery; fire; flood or storm; other adverse weather conditions (including heavy rainfall, hail, snow, fog or frost) affecting airport, port, road or other transport link, embarkation or disembarkation point or their operation; flight delays; air traffic control problems; siege; acts of terrorism; police or security closures or precautionary measures.
- Airlines and Other Suppliers As between you and the suppliers of transport, accommodation and other components of your holiday, the conditions of the supplier will apply. Transport timings are provided by the carrier concerned and subject to weather conditions, maintenance requirements, etc. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee these times.
- Our Responsibilities Global Artichoke Ltd accepts responsibility should you or any member of your party suffer death, personal injury, illness, loss or damage as a result of any failure to perform or improper performance of any part of our contract with you by any of our employees, agents, suppliers or subcontractors, providing they were at the time carrying out work authorised by us, except in the following situations:
(a) Any injury, illness, death, loss, loss of enjoyment, damage, expense resulting from:
i. The fault of the person(s) affected or any member of their party
ii. The fault of a third party not connected with the provision of your holiday which we could not have predicted or avoided.
(b) Force majeure: Circumstances beyond the company’s control, the consequence of which neither the company nor its suppliers could avoid, including but not limited to, war, threat of war, riot, civil strife, terrorist activity, industrial dispute, technical problems, natural disaster and adverse weather conditions.
(c) Excursions. When you book an excursion locally, you contract with the local company and not Global Artichoke Ltd. Any such bookings made at your request does not imply that they have acted as our agent or with our authority or approval.
i. We will take reasonable skill and care in performing our contractual obligations and if we, our agents or suppliers fail to demonstrate reasonable skill and care or are negligent and it can be shown that we have caused you loss or damage, we will accept responsibility for compensating you.
ii. If you feel that any part of your holiday has not been provided as promised, you must, as soon as possible, notify us through either our appointed local representative or directly. You should provide us with details in writing.
iii. Where, as a result of our failure to properly perform, we have failed to provide you with a significant proportion of the services for which you have contracted with us and if you are still on holiday (where possible and appropriate), we will endeavour to implement suitable alternative arrangements at no extra cost to you. If suitable alternative arrangements are not available or you find them unacceptable for good reason, we will (where appropriate) make arrangements for you (and if other members of your party are affected, those members of your party also) to return to your place of departure at no extra cost. In cases where we have not failed in our provision of the majority of services for which you have contracted, our obligation, following your notification, is to investigate your claim and (where appropriate) make prompt efforts to find an appropriate solution.
iv. We are not liable to you where our failure or the improper performance of any of our obligations to you is due to:
a) Any fault or failure of you or of any member of your party.
b) Any fault or failure of any third party unconnected with us and the provision of the services for which you have contracted with us to provide which are unforeseeable or unavoidable.
c) Circumstances beyond our or beyond our suppliers’ reasonable control (which circumstances are without limitation).
v. In respect of travel by air, sea and rail and in the provision of accommodation, our liability is additionally limited by the relevant International Conventions which you agree are incorporated within these Terms & Conditions.
vi. You should note that any acceptance of liability on our part is to set off or reduce the amount of any claim made against us and should take into account any amount paid to you or any member of your party arising from the same cause or circumstance by us or any of our suppliers or any amount paid pursuant to a policy of insurance.
- Your Responsibilities
A. Passport & Visa. It is your responsibility to obtain all documents required for your holiday, to ensure that these are in the proper order and to take them with you. We will not be liable if you fail to do so, nor for any additional costs incurred as a result. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have a valid passport, the necessary visas and that you conform to the health requirements of each country visited during the holiday. For advice on vaccinations and prophylaxis required in any of the countries to be visited, please consult your doctor. For advice on visas, please consult your own national governmental service.
B. You are also responsible for checking in for flights at the correct time and for presenting yourself to take up all booked components of your holiday.
C. You are responsible for ensuring that any existing medical conditions or disability which may require assistance is declared to us before you book your holiday or, if diagnosed in the interim, before your date of departure so that we can make any necessary arrangements. We are not liable if any carrier or authority refuses you or any member of your party as a result of any medical condition or disability.
D. Valuables left at a property are done so entirely at your own risk.
Behaviour as Lead Name (party leader) You are responsible for the civilised behaviour of your party – those other individuals included on your Booking Form. We, the supplier, owner and local manager reserve the right to ask you and your party to leave a property or refuse you access to transport or services if your behaviour falls below those acceptable levels. In these circumstances no refund will be given or compensation paid and no costs or expenses for which you become liable will be recoverable from us. You may also become the subject of police inquiry or security measures or investigation and, in the event that any offence is committed, liable to prosecution and penalty, whether in the UK or under the jurisdiction of another country.
Number of People Please note that for villa rentals, the number of people staying during the week must not exceed the maximum number indicated on the Booking Form or in the Villa Brochure. Events and parties at villa properties are not allowed except with express permission from the supplier.
- Arrival and Departure Times Many properties have specified periods during which you should arrive or depart. If this is the case, you must endeavour to comply with these schedules. Where you find this impossible, it may be possible to make special arrangement but this is in no way guaranteed and we accept no responsibility for expense you incur from having to make alternative arrangements. If you are delayed en route, please call the supplier or local manager on the number provided and we will endeavour to find a solution but take no responsibility for expense you incur if you have to make alternative arrangements.
- State of the Property We would ask that you look after the property during your stay and that it is left in the same state in which you found it. If a supplier or local manager deems a property is in unacceptable condition due to your actions, there will be costs incurred for cleaning or repair as determined by the supplier or local manager.Damage Please inform the supplier or local manager immediately if any damage or loss occurs to the property. It is much easier to agree these things at the time and you will have to accept the appraisal of the supplier or local manager if damage or loss is discovered after your departure. You will be responsible for reimbursing costs for repair or replacement, either to be paid directly to the supplier or manager on-site or drawn from your security deposit (in the case of villa rental).
- Animals As a rule, we do not permit visiting dogs or pets at our properties unless expressly allowed in agreement with the owner. Please be aware that as many of our properties are in the country, there is every chance that you may see and hear animals, be it cats, dogs or insects such as scorpions – anything from Hump Back Whales to Wild Dog and Rhino. It is important that you advise us if you, or any of your travelling companions, suffer from allergies related to animals. We cannot be held responsible for the actions of these ‘wild indigenous animals’ nor can we adjust the volume at which they converse.
- Brochure Description Descriptions and photographs of products and services were accurate at the time of publication and are kept up-to-date as well as we are able. Please note that these descriptions often reflect the personal opinion of the author. If changes are made to a property or service during the course of a booking and we are aware of them, we will endeavour to inform you. However we will not accept responsibility for alterations made by the supplier without our knowledge.
- Swimming Pools Swimming pools are often closed for maintenance or during off-seasons. Occasionally a pool can be opened on request, usually incurring an additional cost. Please ask us to confirm whether a particular pool is open or not and if you would like to request it be opened especially for you.
- International Standards Please be aware that standards in foreign countries may differ from those experienced at home. Examples of this may range from descriptions of accommodation and in the utilisation of standards which whilst national may not be international (eg Twin room / Double bed or US date notation). Whilst we do all we can to ensure you have properly understood the points which we are trying to convey, misunderstandings sometimes occur.
- Complaints In the unlikely event that you are disappointed with the property or any of its services, you should first contact the Property Manager or Owner who will use all reasonable endeavours to solve the problem locally. It is unreasonable and in breach of your contractual obligations to take no action whilst on holiday but then to write a letter of complaint upon return. If you feel this local and immediate action did not fully resolve the problem and you would like to pursue the matter, you must write to the Company within 28 days of your return, giving all relevant information. Please note that we will only converse with the ‘Lead Name’ during the process of the complaint. If you fail to follow this simple procedure we will have been deprived of the opportunity to investigate and respond to your complaint whilst you were on holiday and this may affect your rights under this contract.The Company cannot be held responsible for breakdown of mechanical equipment such as pumps, boilers, etc. nor for failure of public utilities such as water and electricity. Neither the Company nor the Supplier is responsible for noise or disturbance originating beyond the boundaries of the property or which is beyond the control of the Company and/or Supplier.
- Compliance By proceeding with a Booking, you are confirming that you have read and agreed to our Terms & Conditions.
Global Artichoke Limited, Royal Marina Court, Devon TQ1 2BJ. 12th April 2017.